Dutch Oven Cherry Cobbler
12 – 14
- 2 (12-1/2-ounce) cans unsweetened dark sweet cherries
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- Drain cherries and reserve juice. Combine cherries and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and poppy seeds in a medium bowl. Stir to blend well. Stir in egg and 3/4 cup reserved cherry juice to make a fairly thick batter. If necessary, add a little more juice so you can just stir the heavy batter with a spoon.
- Melt butter in 12″ Dutch oven. Spoon batter over butter. (Butter will come up over batter at the edges.) Gently spoon cherries and any juice remaining in the bowl into center of batter.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour with 16-18 coals on top and 8 coals on bottom. Be sure to rotate oven cover every 15 minutes for even heating. Cobbler is done when the sides just begin to pull away from the pan and a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Note: If you can find only sweetened canned cherries, use only 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Cherry | Cobbler | Dessert | Dutch Oven