Chili Con Carne
- 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients
(onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine,
tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.
Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.
Amount per serving
Calories: 286 Calories from fat: 29% Fat: 7.5g Saturated fat: 2.1g Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: .4g Protein: 22.4g Carbohydrate: 28.5g Fiber: 6.5g Cholesterol: 48mg Iron: 5.1mg
Sodium: 460mg Calcium: 169mg